Neutralizing Mold Growth Under Home
Completion date: October 16, 2018
Location: Springfield, OR
The couple that owns this Springfield, OR home knew there was mold growing underneath it, and needed ideas on what to do to stop it to help reduce allergens in their home.
One of the things we explain to our clients is that about fifty percent of the air you breathe on the first floor of your home comes from your crawl space. For this home with mold growing under it, the family was breathing in mold spores!
When our Energy Consultant suited up in protective gear and climbed under the home, he clearly saw the mold (see photos). Using the moisture level gauge (see photo), he was able to show the owners that it was very moist under their home. You want the relative humidity in the air to be below 60%, and in their crawl space it was closer to 80%.
The first step was to neutralize the mold to kill what was there and to stop it from spreading. The crawl space was treated with Mold-X to neutralize mold on surfaces, nooks, and crannies. It eradicates the biofilm that mold lives on so it is not able to produce spores.
Dehumidifiers were installed to regulate the relative humidity to be under 60% so that the mold does not have its perfect environment to grow again.