Josh Lowe's Dr. Energy Saver Q&A

Can you add insulation to existing walls?

You can, yet there are many items to consider. During a home energy audit, Josh Lowe's Dr. Energy Saver will be able to inspect and assess home insulation levels. If wall insulation is missing or inadequate, there are several options available to remedy this problem. In terms of improving home energy performance, wall insulation may be the least of your worries. Most homes already have some wall insulation. It's tricky to insulate finished walls because it's more difficult to get insulation inside the wall, in the cavities between studs. For more information: https://www.jldrenergysaver.com/insulation/wall-insulation.html

Does the Oregon building code require insulation in the crawlspace?

Western Oregon is in Zone 4, and new construction code here for the floor is a minimum of R-30. For attic insulation, it is R-38 minimum.  However, we do recommend insulating your attic to R-60.  Walls have a minimum R-value of R-21.

How do you get rid of mold?

Mold in your home’s crawl space or attic can develop in a variety of ways. The usual ways are from high humidity in the space, or from water leaking in. This will create perfect breeding grounds for mold.

This hazardous allergen can create ailments so removing mold from your home is critical for your family's health.

Our Energy Consultant will investigate your home to determine what is happening to cause the mold growth.  The first step is to swiftly treat the mold growth and to stop it from growing further. Our company uses Mold-X and Mold-X2, and our energy consultant will work with you to determine which product will be the best choice for your situation.

What is the insulation value of spray in insulation?

Our company uses "closed-cell" spray foam, which has an R-value of R-6.8 per inch. 

A client usually has us spray between 2 inches and 4 inches.  It seals everything, eliminating all air gaps and stopping air flow, and has a non-conductive property so heat cannot transfer through it like that of fiberglass.

All these properties make it perform far better than any other insulating materials.

What kInd of insulation do I need for my attIc?

Blown-in cellulose insulation and spray foam insulation are the options that out-perform fiberglass. In an attic, fiberglass just acts like an air filter as the air flows through it. You want a giant thick blanket in your attic to help keep your home more comfortable, and spray foam or cellulose will do this. Our Energy Consultant will evaluate your attic and help you determine the best route for your home.

Where to buy windows in Eugene, Oregon?

Isn’t your window there so you can see outside and to let more light or fresh air inside?  Our Simonton Daylight Max window is your solution, offering up to 40% more glass viewing area than any other manufacturer on the market.  Contact Josh Lowe’s Dr. Energy Saver to set up a free, no-obligation appointment with one of our window specialists. You will also learn about other features of the Simonton line of windows, from Energy Star ratings, to transferrable lifetime warranties to windows that tip in for easier cleaning.  Ask about energy rebates on qualified windows.

Who installs spray foam insulation in Portland Oregon?

Josh Lowe's Dr. Energy Saver, in business since 2006, is your one-stop company for closed-cell spray foam insulation, plus your other options--cellulose, rigid foam board, and fiberglass.  Our Energy Consultant will meet with you to discuss what you are looking to achieve, investigate your home or business from attic to crawl space/basement, and show you what was discovered.  We then work with you to determine the best solution for your situation and what you want to accomplish.

our service area

We serve the following areas

OregonWashington Our Locations:

Josh Lowe's Dr. Energy Saver
3922 West 1st Ave
Eugene, OR 97402